What we do
We meet annually at our conference which is very well attended with over 100 delegates. Our meetings are supported by our pharmaceutical industry colleagues and a grant from Parkinson’s UK. Delegates therefore attend the conference for free. Our sponsors have no influence on the content of the meeting. Our previous meeting reports are available by clicking here: conference reports
We believe that it is vital to gather data to monitor trends and inform business cases and have developed a dashboard of data based on Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) data which we publish annually. Our data packs over the last several years are available for review by clicking the tab labelled ‘Data’.
We also believe that by working together and sharing guidelines and referral pathways that we can avoid wasting time reinventing the wheel. We are grateful to members of other Regional Excellence Networks for sharing their resources with us.
We also believe that services of people with Parkinson’s should be proactive rather than reactive.
Parkinson's UK Excellence Network Award
Examples of changes in service brought about by our members are:
- The development of new Parkinson’s specific Education programmes and lifestyle management programmes
- Development of new nurse-led clinics for newly diagnosed people with Parkinsons enabling early counselling, information provision and support.
- Dissemination of information to people with Parkinsons and their carers on ‘anticipatory care’ – what to look for if Parkinson’s symptoms deteriorate (click on ‘Resources’ to find out more
- Development of an ‘alert’ system to ensure that the Parkinson’s specialist team are aware if a person with Parkinson’s is admitted to hospital. This allows early specialist input and hopefully a shorter stay in hospital.
- A focus on exercise and falls prevention, including the development of basic falls assessment guidance (a joint project with the South West Parkinson’s Excellence Network).